Monday, May 2, 2011

Now That's A Birthday Party

Sunday being my birthday and I typically have just 1 wish every year which is a New York Ranger playoff game on my birthday.

We all know that it has been quite a while since that has happened. Yet for my 52nd birthday I got a ton of gifts each more priceless than any I had received before.

To say that all the birthday wishes on Facebook overwhelmed me would be a huge understatement. This year has been a struggle for me on many levels but you folks keep picking me up and teaching me life lessons I knew thought I would learn.

52 despite the surgery is turning into a great year thanks to all of you who help make this place possible. I do have a lot more to learn and to improve as a person but I am sure you will make sure I stay on track.

I thought getting a new gas grill would be a nice present just as going out for dinner with the wife but how many of you can say that you got a birthday present from the President of the United States?

Really to see that Osama Bin Laden got his just rewards was a great present. I will never mind sharing my birthday with his death because over the years I have gotten to know too many people who were affected by 9/11.

The suffering we are a nation went through because of that day does justify the action taken by our President on our behalf. Not going to play politics here because nobody wins that argument but credit the man for taking a dangerous risk.

Yes we can talk all about the bravery shown by the forces who took part in the raid and they deserve it. I give the President a little more because I think back to the bungled rescue attempt the Iranian hostages under President Jimmy Carter.

The failure of that mission cost President Carter dearly as he lost his reelection bid to Ronald Reagan. Had this mission failed then President Obama might as well had resigned because it would have destroyed his presidency.

But there are other heroes too that people will overlook because they play support roles like the folks who handle supplies and logistics for a military operation. The Seals will get the glory but even they will credit the team for how this mission worked.

The credit belongs to everyone for making this effort happen and we should remember those who lost their lives because of Bin Laden. If you want some heroes then every single person who lost their lives on that day are also heroes.

No it does not end the war on terrorism but for the American people it can provide some comfort that 2 Presidents kept their word and got us some justice. Hopefully we can remember coming together as a country and work together just like everyone who made this mission go off like it did.

But boy do I feel sorry for my wife as how in the heck is she going to top this for my nest birthday?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With only 1 New York Ranger prospect seeing action as Ryan Bourque and his Quebec Remparts for the 2nd straight playoff series blew a 3-1 series lead after losing Game 6 4-0.

The game report is simple, the Remparts stunk up the place while the Gatineau Olympiques out worked and out played them. Now Quebec has to try to win a second Game 7 and this time it is going to be hard for them to do that even on home ice.

Tuesday night we will find out in game 7

No comments: