Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Good Night

Thanks to a 6 hour power outage this is going to be a badly written piece so to all think my writings is bad oh well. This report is directed at a firehouse located at the corner of 81st and Northern Blvd.

Engine 307, Ladder 154 of the New York Fire Department as once upon a time I lived at 86-10 34th Ave. My Bed was right by the window so every time they left on a run I heard them.

I hate wind storms always have always will and never could fall a sleep as a kid until I heard the fire trucks drive by sirens blaring. As a little kid it was my safety net so I thank all of you who served there making sure I was safe.

This is being written at 5 AM just as my wife came into the bedroom to tell me that I had to wake something bad was happening. I do not wake up nicely but one look at the living TV and I was there.

I reached for my phone but nobody answered, calls were not getting through so I jumped into a shower and by the time I was finished the 2nd plane had hit. I was a trained infantry solider but I had never felt more lost, more paralyzed and angry.

3000 miles from home and helpless while people are dying. I am not ashamed that I cried my eyes out when the towers went down. I cried for the innocents who were murdered. I cried for those 1st responders who did not think twice about running into danger.

I lost 3 good friends because of 9/11 but I know they are still here with me. Rangerlady who defined what a true lady meant as she saw in me what I could not and encouraged my writing.

I am here because of her and I so miss not being able to show her what I have done.

Then there is Jimcus who died of cancer but had more courage than any solider I had meet. Jimcus gave of himself and never once complained and the fate he was dealt.

Then there was my hero, Purpledad, that Irish gentleman as he was who I wished I could be. The Dad was a real man's man who used his manners to show that this street kid could do things in a nicer way.

I loved how on St. Patrick's Day, Dad would assign us a writing and for the street kid he needed the slap on the head to think first. If you were to call people warriors then these are the truest of warriors, pure of heart and caring of others.

They took down those buildings but they never took down our spirit and they never will.

Sunday will be special as the Giants will lead us off with a win in DC. The Ranger kids will show how the future will honor the warrior dead by beating Dallas. The Mets may be the Mets but this night is too powerful for them to lose.

The Mets will win and then the Jets will soar into victory. We as Americans will send the message loud and clear that as long as there is one person who says he is from New York City, we will never be defeated.

We are now as we were then the most important people in the world and we say it with 3 little words.

WE THE PEOPLE.

Hockey

To say I am proud of the effort of the baby Rangers would be an understatement. We saw a young inexperienced team and do a number on a more experienced team.  There was a lot to like and yes we see some things that need to be fixed.

Stars of the Game

1 The Offense itself as you go 5 goals from 5 guys 2 power play, 2 even and a shortie which was totally unexpected.

2 The defense as I could not find any odd man rushes given up by the Rangers. I saw good communication and players who know where they belonged. I alslo liked how the team too the pressure off Jason Missiaen,

Defensively They kept the shots outside from a distance and did not give up the odd man rushes. The players all came back nobody tried to cheat and cheery pick.

3 Emotional control as when the Blues fell behind they tried to goad the Rangers into a fight. It did not work other than old friends saying hi

1ST Star


Blake Parleet 3 assist as the Dan Girardi copycat continues his solid play at both ends. Really liked how he and Erixon communicated. Good defensive job.

2nd Star

Ryan Bourque who showed that he was a leader who does not need to wear a letter on his uniform. Strong all over the ice, very active.

3rd Star
Tim Erixon played a very good game, he is not as physical as we may have thought but his passing skills are better than any Ranger dman now. Would like to see him on the rush

3rd Star

Ranger McNaught-- Yes Carl Hagelin played well but what did not do McNaught did which was make people play for touching the puck. McNaught showed some clean hard checking

Honorable Mention

Christian Thomas would have 3 assists if his players could finish. Liked seeing him out on the PK. Surprise he did it last season too which makes him a very dangerous player.

Jonathan Audy-Marchessault got off to a slow start but finished stronger. Needs to realize that on the ice your draft status means nothing so you think is right.

Andrew Yogan should have been the 1st star but he is not why? Because he tried to be cute instead of ripping shots into the next. I could 4 scoring plays he should have scored on.

Kudos to his effort but cmon kid you got to bury those chances when they are on your blade.

The Rest

Coach Ken Germander sound like he did not want to talk about the TV cameras, Speeches cliched filled that did not sink in.

Jason Wilson, JR MIller, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Jyri Niemi,
Matt Rust, Peter Cernsnak, and Micheah St. Croix did nothing to write home about

No comments: